CMS Dreams
custom modules for DragonFly CMS

mail issue...

mComp Module - Manage Online Gaming Competitions
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts

mail issue...

Post Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:53 am

Hi Mark, greetings from Chile Smile

well, i'm having trouble with mComp and mail activation ...

i've tried everything and when u register a team, the confirmation email is nowhere... and in the nuke there's no problem with mails sended from the site.

I'm using CPG-nuke 8.2c , MySQL and Fedora

so, where is the "mail config" for the module?? or the module get the e-mail smtp, user and pass from the general config of the nuke??

plz, help =(

PS: sorry 'bout my english, it isn't perfect but i think it's "acceptable" xD

byes =)

FuuRe

Re: mail issue...

Post Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:52 am

mComp doesn't use SMTP, it just uses the PHP mail command, like so:-

PHP:

mail
(
"$tmail",
"Confirm Registration",
"Thank you for joining $compName\n\nYour Team name is: $tname\n\nPlease confirm your Team registration by clicking here\n\n$compURL/$thisfile&op=confirmTeam&randid=$randid\n\n",
"From:$returnmail");

For mail to work on your server it must meet these requirements (taken from php.net) :-

For the Mail functions to be available, PHP must have access to the sendmail binary on your system during compile time. If you use another mail program, such as qmail or postfix, be sure to use the appropriate sendmail wrappers that come with them. PHP will first look for sendmail in your PATH, and then in the following: /usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/etc:/etc:/usr/ucblib:/usr/lib. It's highly recommended to have sendmail available from your PATH. Also, the user that compiled PHP must have permission to access the sendmail binary.

I understand that the PHP mail function is not that reliable and I intend to address that in version 2.

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:34 pm

I am having the same problem under version 2.0, Dragonfly.

There simply is no mail that is being sent :(.
I do have the installation in a sub-folder.
But I have added this sub folder in the module configuration.
Is there something else I need to do ?

Thx in advance,
Stinger

Stinger

Post Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:44 pm

Short update:

I have reinstalleb Dragonfly to root to test things out.
Still have the following problem:

1. Now users who do signup a team do get an email.
But it only shows the follwong test:

Welcome to xyz

You or someone else has used your email account (xyz@abc.com) to register an account at xyz
The following is your member information:
Username: xyz
Password: xyz

There is no confirmation link whatsoever.

2. When I delete this pending application again, there will be no second
email anymore when the same user tries to apply a second time.

Any help is highly appreciated.
Thx,
Stinger

Stinger

Post Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:07 am

As far as mail is concerned I'm using DragonFly's send_mail() function in v2.0, or PHP's mail() function if running under PHP-Nuke. I'm aware of problems with mail() but there's not a lot I can do about it as PHP-Nuke doesn't provide any other mechanism. I'm not aware of problems with send_mail().

I'll do some tests to see if it's my code at fault, if not I'll see if there are any issues with send_mail() I need to look into.

As for that message Stinger, that comes from DragonFly when registering an account, not my module. There are some issues with new user registration in DragonFly as I discovered on this site, I had to download the latest Your_Account and includes/db files from www.cpgnuke.com CVS to fix it.

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:44 am

OK, it looks like send_mail() doesn't like any from address supplied to it. I've amended the mail function to not supply a from address and to print an error if it fails (something that mail() doesn't do in any circumstance).

That's also meant re-writing various bits of other programs to test for sucessful completion of the mail function.

Please re-download the package and let me know if it's fixed the problem.

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:29 am

I too have this email-problem, also in the previous 8.2 version. Haven't tested it with the new files though but maybe you could add a function that an admin "manually" can approve new teams. Now in list of teams there's an admin link (manage) but this doesn't work on teams which haven't replied the email. Just like on the users-registration in Dragonfly there's a possebility for an admin th approve the request. Now I'm still not able to test the module as I can't add teams.

mario
Good poster
Good poster

Post Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:04 am

You are a genious Mark !

Works like a charm now under DF Smile

Thx a lot,
Stinger

Golem
Contributor
Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:09 am

- mario
I too have this email-problem, also in the previous 8.2 version. Haven't tested it with the new files though but maybe you could add a function that an admin "manually" can approve new teams. Now in list of teams there's an admin link (manage) but this doesn't work on teams which haven't replied the email. Just like on the users-registration in Dragonfly there's a possebility for an admin th approve the request. Now I'm still not able to test the module as I can't add teams.

I didn't do it that way for a reason in the previous version, because confirming the registration was the process that generated passwords, in particular the password that the Team would need to manage their own account.

Now that v2.0 uses the user login to validate them this isn't strictly necessary, so I should be able to make it so Admins can approve registrations. I'll get to work on that as soon as I can, it won't require any database changes so will only involve a file change.

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:18 am

great, tnx mark

mario
Good poster
Good poster

Post Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:10 pm

OK Mario, I've done that, in the Team Listing page you'll see a [Confirm] link against Teams that haven't confirmed their registrations. Click it and it will confirm their registration and offer to take you to their Management page. It will set-up whoever registered the Team as "Leader" enabling them to fully manage their own profile thereafter.

Only works if you're an Admin of course Wink

You can also set a property in the Module Configuration preventing Teams from managing their own profiles by the way. If you do this Admins can create Profiles and add memebers to Teams (and promote them etc.) without Teams needing to register themselves or take any other action to get themselves listed. Of course, if you chose that option Admins would have to manage ALL Team profiles.

Re-download the package, although it's only team.php and create.php that have changed.

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:26 pm

That's perfect Mark, thank you for the quick response, thumbs up

mario
Good poster
Good poster